Monday, August 21, 2017

Another winner

Now I get to show you the other sewing project that Courtney worked on for 4-H. This was a bit more challenging for her, because it involved a lot more fabric to maneuver under the presser foot! She and her mom picked out two colors of cozy flannel.


It involved setting some snaps. Courtney's hands weren't big enough to handle my KAMsnaps pliers, so I did that part, but she did the measuring and made the holes to set them through.


Almost done! Here she is, stuffing it...


... and now can you guess what it is?


It's a pillow bed!


It can be used for sleeping on, or propped up to lounge on, or read on...


... or just relax and be a little silly on.


It's very comfy! I know, because I tested it myself (but you don't need to see that photo). It also folds up completely, but I forgot to take a picture of that.

We used a tutorial found here. It was simple and fun to make, with lots and lots of straight stitching, which was good practice. She did a beautiful job, and it earned her a BLUE RIBBON! Yay!

Courtney's been dying to try it out overnight. She could hardly stand to wait for the fair to be over to do so. I have it on good authority that it's going to get tried out as a bed at her cousins' house this week. I suspect she will sleep very well!

6 comments:

annie dee said...

Excellent job, Miss C! And a blue ribbon to boot! I think we're witnessing the beginnings of a life long seamstress! Congratulations!

Grandma G said...

Thanks, Annie Dee! I'll pass your words along to her. I think you're right about the seamstress! 👍

Geneviève said...

Nice work Courtney! The fabrics are beautiful, good choices.

I would have loved making something like that when I was her age, I can understand why she was so excited to try it! 😃

Grandma G said...

Thank you, Gen! Courtney will love hearing your comments. And she told me that she slept very well her first night on the pillow bed - yay!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Grandma G,
I was just talking about making one of these earlier today. How cute, and your granddaughter did a fabulous job. She should be very proud of herself! YAY on the blue ribbon. ~smile~ Roseanne

Grandma G said...

Hi, Roseanne! Thank you for your kind words! ❤️ Go ahead and make one - they're very easy!